IWC 330 Header

About Us

(updated 08 August 2016)

District 330 comprises 18 Inner Wheel Clubs.

It is formed under the auspices of International Inner Wheel which is the largest women's service voluntary organisation in the world, found in 103 countries with over 100,000 members in 3,895 clubs. International Inner Wheel is an NGO, inserted in the ECOSOC roster, with several representatives at the United Nations.

Map of District 330

DISTRICT ACTIVITIES

Highlight of the District year is the Annual General Meeting which lasts for almost three days and includes a fun-filled Fellowship Night; a spectacular Gala Dinner and activities and workshops as well as the AGM Business Meeting itself. This event is important in bringing together the widely spread Clubs in true fellowship and understanding. International Inner Wheel Day is often celebrated as an inter-club occasion when Clubs can gain an appreciation of the wide-ranging membership and service of the organisation to which they belong. District has also arranged joint Club overseas visits to IW Clubs in the region. All Clubs and members are always delighted to welcome overseas visitors to meetings and themselves enjoy visiting other Clubs when travelling.

The experience of hosting the AGM annual extravaganza was invaluable when District 330 was awarded the honour of holding the International Inner Wheel Convention at Kota Kinabalu in 2009. This event gave other IW Districts an appreciation of the rich talent and culture in District 330. Service to the needy and disadvantaged in the community and support for the victims of the frequent natural disasters in the region are also priorities for the Clubs, and members’ help is often essential to the quality of life, even survival, of many.

HISTORY OF DISTRICT 330

In 1972, with five Inner Wheel Clubs, namely the Inner Wheel Clubs of Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Ipoh, Taiping and Kota Kinabalu, a district to be formed was mooted.  However, only three clubs respondedIWC Singapore, IWC Kuala Lumpur and IWC Taiping.  In 1974, another attempt to form a district was again brought up but was not successful.

In 1978, the IWC Ipoh President Dr Bakshish Singh pledged to establish a district as one of her projects for the year.  As the response to form a district was positive, International Inner Wheel was informed.  Subsequently, International Inner Wheel President, Mrs Joan Pyke visited Malaysia to advise and help with the formation. Thus Inner Wheel District 330 comprising of 5 clubs – Kuala Lumpur, Ipoh, Taiping, Tawau and Kota Kinabalu and corresponding with the Rotary District was formed in 1980. This was followed by its registration with the Registrar of Societies, Malaysia, on 17 July 1984.

The first District Chairman was Dr Bakshish Singh who served from 1980-1982.  In the committee were Vice-Chairman Helen Jayasuria (IWC Kota Kinabalu), Honorary Secretary Jean Khoo (IWC Kuala Lumpur), Honorary Treasurer Nancy Yew (IWC Kota Kinabalu), International Service Organiser L. Kanasingam (IWC Taiping) and Extension Officer Julie Larson (IWC Kuala Lumpur).

The first District Annual General Meeting was held in Dr Bakshish’s residence.

GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT

The oldest Inner Wheel Club of the district, the Inner Wheel Club of Singapore, was chartered in 1946.  This was followed by the founding of IWC Ipoh in 1948 and IWC Kuala Lumpur in 1949.  IWC Taiping and IWC Kota Kinabalu (Sabah) were chartered in 1955.  During the 1970s and 80s, the Inner Wheel Clubs of Miri, Tawau, and Sibu in East Malaysia; and Singapore East and Singapore West. were chartered. IWC Kuantan Indera Mahkota and IWC Bangsar, were also chartered during this period.  In 1983, Kota Kinabalu withdrew from the District but rejoined in 1990.  In 1987, after much persuasion and invitations, the 3 Singapore Clubs finally agreed to join. 

By 1989 the number of Clubs in District 330 stood at twelve. The 1990s were very productive for the District which expanded to include another four, the Inner Wheel Clubs of Seremban, Sandakan (Sabah), Petaling Jaya and Klang. Thus, by the end of the century the number of Clubs in District 330 had reached 17.

But this achievement was equaled in the first decades of the 21st century when District 330, against the apparent global downtrend, chartered seven new clubs, the Inner Wheel Clubs of Kuala Lumpur North, Ipoh East and Penang in the first decade, and Subang Selangor, Selangor, Kuching (Sarawak) and Kuala Lumpur City Centre in the first two years of the second decade. During this period, IWC Teluk Intan was closed making the number of Clubs in the District, twenty-three. This shows a remarkable growth rate of 3.3 Clubs per decade since the first Club, IWC Singapore was founded in 1946 and demonstrates the continuing success of District 330.

At the Thirty-second District Annual General Meeting of District 330 held in Kota Kinabalu, a resolution was passed to form a new district comprising the 3 clubs in Singapore and 6 clubs in East Malaysia.  IIW was informed and approval was obtained. The new District 331 is now born.

In Inner Wheel year 2012-2013, two new clubs were formed. IWC Intan Kuala Lumpur was chartered on 22 Nov 2012 with young adults as members and as such, has been affectionately called the "new generations" club. IWC Mutiara Selangor was the sixteenth club chartered on 23 January 2013.

In the Inner Wheel year 2013-2014, two new clubs were formed.  The Inner Wheel Club of Pearl of the Orient, Penang was chartered on 2 July 2013 and the Inner Wheel Club of Ioras, Ipoh was chartered on 20 August 2013.

INTERNATIONAL INNER WHEEL REPRESENTATION

By 1987 the District with more then eight clubs and having functioned as a District since 1980, was eligible for representation on the International Board. The first International Inner Wheel Representative was Charter District Chairman Dr Bakshish Singh followed by Datin Lam Leepin, Mrs Annie Foo, Mrs Jean Khoo, Dr Bakshish (again), Mrs Jeannette Tong, and lastly Datin Joan Salleh who sat consecutively for 2 years from 1993-1995.

In 1995 the structure of the Inner Wheel Board changed and representation on the International Board was reduced from 25 to 16. These 16 “Board Directors” as they are known, were to be elected by clubs worldwide from National Representatives. The IIW Representative was now known as National Representative and the first National Representative was Puan Sri Helen Jayasuriya. The following have served as IIW Board Directors: Mrs Jean Khoo 1998-99, Mrs Jessie Wang 2001-03, Datuk Nancy Ho 2004-05 and 2009-10, Mrs Rathy Mahendran 2010-11, Mrs Shirin Ghadiali 2011-12, Datin Ainol Ramli 2012-13, Mrs Joy Sundram 2013-2014, and Datin Pearl Jai Mohan 2016-2017.